Sunday, June 16, 2013

Recipe Sunday: Fudgy Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

When I eat something delicious, I find myself thinking, "Man, other people should really eat this!"

So, I've decided to start sharing some of my favorite recipes with you, on Sundays. We shall call it, Recipe Sunday. (Creative, I know.)

The first recipe I'll share with you is the delicious Father's Day treat I baked (with the help of my little sous chef). Oh my goodness guys, these are to die for. They are super rich and it makes a ton, so plan to make them for a crowd, or don't--the choice is yours.

Fudgy Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
via Mel's Kitchen Cafe



Ingredients
    Crust:
  • 2 cup graham cracker crumbs (one of the many reasons I love my food processor!)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  •  
    Fudge Layer:
     
  • 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 package (12 oz.) semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup toffee bits (I used chopped up Heath bar)
        Cookie Layer:
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 package (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup toffee bits
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs and butter until evenly moistened. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
  3. For the fudge, in a microwaveable bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for one. Stir. Microwave for another minute and continue stirring and microwaving until the mixture is smooth and melted. Pour the fudge mixture over the crust, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with the toffee bits (1/2 cup).
  4. For the cookie layer, in large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (handheld or stand mixer), beat together the butter, milk, vanilla, and brown sugar. Add the egg and mix. Stir in the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chips. Dollop this mixture by tabespoonfuls across the fudge layer and spread to form an even layer. Sprinkle with the toffee bits (1/2 cup).
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes (I did 25 minutes) until edges are puffed and the top is golden brown. Don't overbake or the bars will be tough and dry. Pull them out when the top is golden but the cookie dough still looks a bit soft. Cool completely and cut into squares.
You're welcome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...