Friday, May 3, 2013

Confessions of a Breastfeeding Mom: Part 2

Mastitis.

If you don't know what Mastitis is, consider yourself lucky. I've gone ahead and provided a handy link for those of you who aren't familiar with the term. I was sure to find one that was family-friendly. The first link I came across had a pretty gruesome photo.

Essentially, mastitis is the result of a clogged milk duct leading to an infection: high fever, chills, aches, tenderness, redness etc.

I am now suffering from the symptoms of mastitis for the second time this week and the fifth or sixth time since Grant was born. Luckily, I've been able to clear the clogs before the infection has become full-blown, like in previously mentioned gruesome photo.

Sadly, the first time I experienced the symptoms this week was on Sunday, our sixth anniversary. We all stayed home from church so Sam could take care of me. He was amazing, as usual.

I thought I was certainly in the clear but I had another fever last night and the clog appears to be on the other side this time. Apparently, each bout of mastitis makes you more likely to have another. Awesome.

Guys, I just want to have a pleasant nursing experience. The universe seems to be working against me. However, that makes me even more determined to keep at it. You can't beat me universe!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, the worst! I only had it once with Benson, but it was awful! I can't imagine having it five or six times! Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...