I have made a lot of mac and cheese recipes. I try pretty much every one I come across. It's just the perfect comfort food and, of course, my kids love it. I've had a lot of good ones but this is my favorite one to make. It's simple and always turns out delicious. In fact, it's probably the most repeated recipe in my house.
Macaroni and Cheese
via Betty Crocker Sunday Dinner
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk, cream, half and half (I just use whatever is in the fridge)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
I also love to add leftover ham and peas when we have it. Yum!
Directions:1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Cook macaroni as directed on package.
3. While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper are Worcestershire sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
4. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
5. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
6. Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole pan. Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes or until bubble.